Artist INC Cares: Finding Financial Help
Learn what financial relief is available to you as an artist, how to navigate the system and what actions you can take to help stabilize your finances.
For the first time, artists as sole proprietors and the self-employed are included in many of the relief packages, loan programs, and unemployment benefits, but the language of the documents can make it difficult for artists and micro-businesses to navigate. With the large volume of information currently being disseminated, translating and distilling that information in a way that makes it understandable and actionable for artists is critical.
Artist & Arts and Business Strategist, Chris Dahlquist, shares the opportunities that are available to artists and the steps they must quickly take to be able to navigate and capitalize on the relief being offered, as well as to help create a strategy to move forward in both the short and long term.
Miss a webinar? Check out the recordings below.
1. What We Know Today (Recorded: Sunday, April 5, 2020)
Artist / Arts Business Strategist, Chris Dahlquist and Artist INC Founder, Diane Scott will have a conversation.
- Explain financial opportunities currently available and the appropriateness of each for the artist cohort and how those options might work together.
- What to look for (and be cautious of) in each offering (i.e., payback schedule, interest rates, etc.).
- Actions to take today.
- Artist INC Cares Resource List
2. Questions / Ask the Experts (Recorded: Wednesday, April 8, 10 am CST)
Chris Dahlquist will moderate a conversation between Michelle Freed, Senior VP of First Missouri Bank and Hannah Cole, Artist and Tax Expert, Sunlight Tax about the options for individual artists, small businesses and nonprofits.
- The expert panel will offer guidelines and field questions from artists.
- What actions to take this week.
SBA Forgivable Loans – Ask the Expert (Recorded: Friday, April 10, 2020 at 10 a.m.)
Lisa Zimmerman, a Lender Relations Specialist with the U.S. Small Business Administration, has a conversation with Chris Dahlquist with the most up to date information about the forgivable loans available through the SBA. Having worked to bring micro-lending to artists and other small businesses in the past, Lisa has an understanding of artists needs and an ability to clarify the SBA options.
3. What’s Working / What’s Not (Recorded: Wednesday, April 15, 10 am CST)
- Artists share their personal experience going through the loan process.
- Actions to take this week.
4. What’s Next? Creating a Strategy to Move Forward (Recorded: Wednesday, April 22, 10 am CST)
- Reviewing the Portfolio Career, how to truly diversify your income.
- What parts of the portfolio career are durable and can be emphasized during this time?
- Actions to take this week.
The views expressed are those of the individual presenters, not those of their respective employers or of the sponsoring organization. The information and resources shared are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney, financial advisor, or other qualified professional to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem.
Given the dynamic nature or these topics the information may no longer be current and is subject to change without notice.