Join our team
Our team is passionate about strengthening communities and improving lives through extraordinary cultural experiences.
At M-AAA, we are a team of artists, administrators, historians, preservationists, preparators. We are writers, painters, photographers, advocates. And we are dedicated to empowering community through art.
Mid-America Arts Alliance is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
We currently do not have any open positions.
Please follow us on social media or sign up for our e-news for changes in our career opportunities.
Development Manager at Arts Connect Houston
Arts Connect Houston in Houston, Texas
Job Type: Full-time
Reports to: Executive Director
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Location: Houston, TX (Hybrid)
You will collaborate with the Executive Director to secure mission-aligned grant funding from foundations, corporations, public funding sources, including federal and state grant programs, and individuals. Your primary responsibilities include researching and identifying funding opportunities, creating compelling proposals, submitting donor reports, and overseeing all facets of the grants program and the donor cycle.
- Develop compelling cases for support for ACH’s general operations and programs.
- Identify and pursue funding opportunities from multiple sources, including foundations, corporations, and public funding.
- Prepare and submit grant applications, stewardship reports, and donor communications to achieve fundraising goals.
- Write letters and proposals for individual donors to secure gifts.
- Maintain a focus on grant research and manage reporting and submission calendars.
- Maintain relationships with foundation and corporate staff involved in the grant process.
- Assist the Executive Director and leadership team with writing and research for donor meetings and solicitations.
- Provide regular updates and reports to the Arts Connect Board, Leadership Committee, and ACH Arts and Culture Partners.
- Maintain the donor database and CRM platform.
- Follow ethical principles outlined in the Association of Fundraising Professionals Code of Ethical Principles and Standards of Professional Practice.
- Experience in the arts, arts education, the nonprofit community, and the collective impact movement.
- Bachelor’s Degree or relevant professional experience in writing, nonprofit management, business, or a related field.
- 2+ years of grant writing experience, including cultivation and stewardship of foundation and corporate gifts.
- Proficiency in creating clear, structured proposals.
- Research and communicate shared project budgets and outcomes.
- Experience working with diverse constituents.
- Proficient in office applications/software (e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel, Google Sheets) and donor management software/databases.
Working Conditions: Work is sedentary, involving desk activities, computer usage, and occasional travel to multiple locations to meet with potential funders. You will need to acclimate to changing priorities and new goals. Our schedule is hybrid, with remote work on Mondays and Fridays and in-office work on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays.
About Arts Connect Houston: Arts Connect Houston (ACH) is building a future in which every young person thrives because they have a complete education that includes the arts. As a collective impact organization, Arts Connect aligns primary stakeholder groups, including the Houston Independent School District (HISD), the City of Houston, the local philanthropic community, local arts and culture organizations, and state and national partners. To ensure equitable access to the arts for students, Arts Connect collects actionable data, drives advocacy, builds capacity, and unlocks new investments. Arts Connect believes in education as a path to ensure equity for the well-being of all students. We center equity, access, and building community power in our work.
Arts Connect Houston is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Please submit a resume and a brief letter of introduction. Share with us why you are interested in a role in development and what skills, experiences, tools, or qualifications make you a great candidate for this position.
- Comprehensive health care coverage
- Voluntary dental and vision insurance
- Fully paid long-term disability, accidental death and dismemberment, and life insurance
- Paid holiday leave, including 9 holidays, winter break (8 paid days), and 2 personal days
- Paid vacation, sick, and parental leave
- 401K plan after a year of employment
Frequently Asked Questions
What kinds of jobs are typically available at Mid-America Arts Alliance?
Mid-America Arts Alliance employs a diverse range of individuals, from arts curators to grant writers to creative designers to accounting and management professionals.
How do I apply for a position at Mid-America Arts Alliance?
Instructions for applying for a given position are included in the job posting. M-AAA does not accept unsolicited resumes.
May I apply for multiple positions at the same time?
Yes, you may, but please indicate the position you most wish to be considered for when applying, and the reason you feel you are most suited for that position, in your cover letter.
Will you contact me about the progress of my application?
When your application has been received, you will be sent an acknowledgment via email. If a hiring manager determines your skills match the need of the position, you will be contacted for further screening and consideration.
Where is Mid-America Arts Alliance, and what are the business hours?
We are located at 2018 Baltimore Ave., Kansas City, MO 64108. Our headquarters is in the heart of the Crossroads Arts District. Office hours are typically 9:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m., Monday–Friday. M-AAA has limited public hours only for visitors attending an exhibition installed in our space. Regarding employment, please arrange a visit in advance.
What about the confidentiality of my application information?
Your information is private and is not shared with anyone outside Mid-America Arts Alliance. It is only used for employment purposes.
I have additional questions. Who should I contact?
Contact Human Resources, hr (at) maaa.org