Advocate for the Arts
Looking to volunteer your time to help arts organizations? Consider advocating to legislators for increased funding. In today’s climate, arts funding is constantly at risk. Here are five steps you can take to advocate for the arts:
- Learn about the issues: visit your state arts agency website and/or the regional advocacy websites, below.
- Call, write, or e-mail your state’s governor, senators, and/or representatives. The Americans for the Arts website provides contact information for legislators for all states at the local, state, and national levels.
- Write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper. Most limit letters to 200 words or less; check the paper’s website for specific requirements.
- Ask to provide an op/ed piece to your local newspaper, or ask your local editor to consider supporting your opinion.
- Contact friends, neighbors, and colleagues with whom you serve on committees and boards and ask them to support the arts with the above actions.